Peter's Place to Ponder

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Big News!

I know several of you are anxious to hear about my meeting with the bishop, so even though I have much bigger fish to fry, I thought I would take a minute to give you all an update.

I went and met with the bishop, and it didn't go exactly as I had planned, but in retrospect, I think it was better. After we got done with the small talk, he began talking to me about the inspiration he receives as bishop, especially when he is making callings. He also told me that I am entitled to receive the same type of inspiration for issues in my own life, which I already knew, of course, but it was good that he got me thinking about it. He talked for several more minutes about inspiration, but I had a hard time paying close attention, because he had gotten the wheels in my mind turning, and I was thinking about some of the inspiration I had been receiving lately and ignoring.

We eventually got down to the reason he had called me in: to give me a new calling. Of course, I expected him to call me as the Elders Quorum President, as I mentioned the other day. Well, he didn't (yet). He called me as the Elders Quorum Secretary. He told me he felt that it was important for me to be involved in the Elders Quorum so that I could "see firsthand the inspiration that takes place among the presidency." Of course, he couldn't actually say a couple things he was thinking, but I am smart enough to figure them out: one, he feels that my influence in presidency meetings will be good to make sure that the EQP stays in line with the gospel; and two, once the timing is right, I will be called as EQP.

When I was on my mission, the mission president called me to serve as mission secretary, and I spent nearly eight months in the mission home in that capacity before being called as an Assistant to the President. From that experience, I understand completely that priesthood leaders sometimes like to ease people into callings to avoid hurting the feelings of the outgoing people, and I completely respect that. The bishop didn't say anything about meeting with me periodically so I can let him know how things are going, but I assume he will just let me know when he needs to talk, and I will make myself available.

But remember what I said earlier, how I had a hard time listening to the things the bishop was saying because I was thinking about inspiration I had been receiving? Well, when I left the bishop's office with my new calling, I went straight to Molly's house. I picked her up and we went for a drive to a park in Provo that I really like, where I used to play Ultimate Frisbee before the city built some dumb monument in the middle of our field. As we walked around the park, I turned to Molly, got down on one knee, and asked her to marry me. I apologized that I didn't have a ring yet, and I explained to her that the bishop had essentially told me the time was right for us to get engaged.

Obviously, this took Molly off guard. But even more obviously, she said yes. And then, as I looked into the eyes of the future Molly Parley, we shared our first kiss. And our second kiss. And a couple others after that.

18 Comments:

  • That rules.

    Congratulations, Peter. May your marriage be a happy one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 23, 2005 12:01 PM  

  • I guess I don't have to tell everyone that I am SO EXCITED!!!!!

    By Blogger Molly, at August 23, 2005 12:43 PM  

  • Sinner. President Kimball is rolling in his grave.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 23, 2005 1:11 PM  

  • First off, congratulations. I'm very happy to see another eternal marriage get off to a great start. Just keep the engagement, because it's the worst part of any relationship--it has all the responsibilities of marriage but none of the benefits, and now that you have kissed her, you know how wonderful those benefits can be!

    I have to say, though, I'm really disheartened that you have no idea that you might have been called as EQ sec to humble yourself. Why do you think you would be a better EQP? Maybe you would be, but maybe you still have to learn humility before you can get that calling, because you think you're more spiritual or in tune or whatever. A calling is not a political thing, and no one should get their feelings hurt when they get released. They served the Lord, and now it's time to serve doing something else. Don't let callings become a source of pride for you. This is one way Satan can get hold of you, because he knows he can't get you any other way. Many righteous fall by their pride in their own righteousness.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 23, 2005 7:38 PM  

  • I meant keep the engagement short...too easy to succumb to temptation.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 23, 2005 7:40 PM  

  • congrats on the engagement. on everything else, you make me sick. molly, i hope you kno what youre getting yourself into.

    By Blogger Derrick Clements, at August 24, 2005 2:23 AM  

  • True gentlemen never kiss and tell.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 24, 2005 8:56 AM  

  • Congratulations Peter & Molly! That is sooooo exciting! May I make a suggestion for your marriage? You don't have to worry about it just yet, but I recommend that you buy the book "The Act of Marriage" by Tim & Beverly LaHaye. I haven't read it myself (since I'm not married yet), but several of my BYU proffessors have recommended it. Apparently the authors are a Christian minister and his wife, so even though it's not LDS it is in line with LDS principles.

    Anyway, based on your hesitancy about your first kiss, I think this would be a good book to read.

    So again, I'm so excited for you! Keep us updated on all the wedding details, and make sure you post a picture of the ring when you buy it!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 24, 2005 3:40 PM  

  • How much have you two been kissing?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 24, 2005 4:05 PM  

  • It's hard for me to get excited about two fake people getting engaged.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 24, 2005 4:08 PM  

  • It's even harder for me to consider criticism from a fake anonymous person

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 24, 2005 6:27 PM  

  • BIshop's don't call EQP's. Stake Preasidents do.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 25, 2005 11:52 AM  

  • Wow. Congrats Peter and Molly. I'm sure you'll keep us posted...

    By Blogger LITTLE MISS, at August 25, 2005 12:58 PM  

  • So like, I'm wondering when we get to see those cute wedding pics?

    By Blogger Samara Oz, at November 14, 2005 4:57 PM  

  • Peter, are you gay?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 16, 2005 4:36 PM  

  • When will you post again - I miss you

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 17, 2005 11:54 AM  

  • hey brother, nice satire on the Church culture.

    You rock

    By Blogger Civicus, at November 19, 2005 11:52 PM  

  • Your's and Molly's blogs almost make me want to deny my membership in the church. Freakin' weirdos...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 14, 2005 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home