Peter's Place to Ponder

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

I'm not good at coming up with titles

I hardly ever have time to post on this blog, and with all that is going on with Molly and everything, it seems like that is all I ever post about. I will try to fit some non-Molly content into this one, too.

First, let me respond to a couple comments on my last post. A couple people got upset about when I said, referring to Joe Johnson:

She said there was a day or two when she thought she might really like him, but there were things about his upbringing and his background that told her it wasn't right. (He's from southern California, if that helps any.)

I want to respond to this quote from Victor in Valencia:

I also want to know what you mean by "He's from California, if that helps" How does that explain anything? I read his blog and it sounds like being from California means he's honest and people in Utah are not, at least when they date each other. You better respond or everyone is going to think you're a moron.

First of all, Victor, I think the last sentence of your comment is ridiculous on several levels. First of all, I don't think you are qualified to speak for "everyone." Second, "moron" is a very childish thing to call someone. And third, I don't worry myself with what other people think of me, as long as I am happy with myself and know that the Lord is happy with me.

That said, I will explain what I meant, only because a few people seem to have misunderstood. I guess I made the mistake of thinking that most of the people who read my blog also read Molly's, and therefore have at least a little understanding of how she thinks. To anyone who knows Molly, a simple "He's from California" says A LOT about why a guy wouldn't be compatible with Molly. Molly was born and raised here in Utah County, and other than a visit to her uncle in southern Idaho, I don't think she has ever been outside of Utah. Having served a mission, I have seen how life is lived outside of Utah, and I don't think Molly could handle it. When I said "He's from southern California," I could have just as easily said "He's from Texas" or "He's from New York" or any other place that isn't predominantly LDS. That's all I meant by that, so I apologize if my meaning was unclear. (However, I think that far too many people jumped to conclusions and just assumed the worst, which is a sad commentary on the state of the world.)

To be honest with you, I have been trying to work with Molly a little bit on that naivete. I grew up here in Utah County too, so I know how she thinks. But one thing I realized on my mission, as I traveled around different parts of Michigan, is that there is a lot in this world that I had never been exposed to in Utah. Most of it is bad, but not all of it. And I think that living such a sheltered life has given Molly the idea that it is all bad.

On the other hand, you have people like Joe Johnson, who seems to be too far on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to understanding what is good and what is bad. Over on his blog, which I had never read until today, he laughs about the time a woman showed him her bare breasts. I am not a goody-goody, but I think I have a good understanding of what is right and what is wrong. That said, I have never seen a woman's breasts. He also talks about kissing a girl on the third date, as if it is perfectly normal; I feel bad for any girl he goes out with, if they have to deal with those expectations. I get the impression that he wouldn't think it was worth it to date a girl for six or seven months if he didn't get any action out of it, and that makes me sick.

Yes, Molly is naive, but she is pure, and that makes her very attractive to me. She and I decided when we were 17 that we would save our first kiss for the night we got engaged, and we have both kept to that promise. In that regard, I feel like I would be the luckiest guy in the world if I am the guy she ends up marrying.

I have a date with Molly again this weekend. She has a movie she wants to watch, so I think she will be making dinner and then we will watch it. I am thinking about asking Molly if she would mind if my little sister came, since I don't get to spend enough time with her these days. I'm sure Molly won't mind, because she loves my family.

That's enough Molly content for me. I finally did break down and get a haircut, but I ended up buzzing it all off. It feels weird that I can't part my hair to the side -- it really drives home the fact that I am not on a mission anymore. I have been trying to find a job that will fulfill me the way being a missionary did, but I haven't had much luck yet. My life is kind of in a holding pattern.

I did finally see the new Star Wars movie, and I was glad that I didn't take Molly to it. There was quite a bit of violence, and I know it would have driven her crazy that Padme and Anakin hid their relationship, because it gave the impression that no one minded thinking that Padme's baby was illegitimate.

I guess that's all for now.

9 Comments:

  • You can be pure and have kissed people before engagement... you two are so sick.

    PS We all know where liars go.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 22, 2005 7:48 PM  

  • You? Not a goody-goody? Whatever!

    As much as your and Molly's "relationship" makes me sick, you two are perfect for each other. Naive, judgmental, self-righteous... the list goes on and on.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 23, 2005 9:37 AM  

  • I really appreciate you sticking up for me Peter. You really have helped me so much! I feel like I'm learning so much from you since you've gone out and seen The World.

    I like to think that I'm expanding my horizons a little too with "A View From My Heart". There are a lot of thing "of good report" out there that aren't published by Deseret Book. I'm sure of it!!

    Thanks again Peter,

    Molly

    By Blogger Molly, at June 23, 2005 10:11 AM  

  • Peter, I think it's really sweet that you and Molly have decided to "save yourselves" for each other. In my opinion there are too many kisses wasted in the world.

    ~Rose

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 23, 2005 11:17 AM  

  • You need to work on "Move Watching Comprehension 101". Padme and I were married before she became pregnant... I can't believe you'd accuse me of fornication. If I ever find out where you live I'm going to force choke all that self-righteous crap out of you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 23, 2005 11:43 AM  

  • And Anakin, you should work on Reading Comprehension. Anakin and Padme were hiding their marriage, and Padme was pregnant, which means that they were giving the impression that her pregnancy was outside the bonds of marriage. You know, just like I said.

    By Blogger Jeff J. Snider, at June 23, 2005 12:17 PM  

  • Good call, Peter. "Avoid the very appearance of evil" and all that jazz. I hope you've never given anyone the opportunity to question your morality.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 23, 2005 2:40 PM  

  • I will do my best to never let you down, Anakin.

    By Blogger Jeff J. Snider, at June 23, 2005 2:44 PM  

  • Y'all are boring... you guys need to update your blogs more often.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 28, 2005 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home