Peter's Place to Ponder

Wednesday, June 8, 2005

My first blog entry

This is weird to me, but I guess it might be fun. I never knew much about the internet before my mission, but I figure it is time to get into the swing of things and live in the 21st century. Did you know they have the entire scriptures on the lds.org website? It is pretty sweet.

I just found out what a blog was yesterday. It's a long story, but a friend of mine (who may be more than a friend, I am not sure -- but that's another story) has a blog -- what in the world does "blog" mean, anyway??? -- and when I saw hers, I thought, well, maybe I will do one for myself.

I am not sure what I will write about, but we'll see. I guess anyone can read this, so maybe some of you reading it can help me out. What sort of things do people write about on their blogs? Any tips for me?

I guess I can start by introducing myself. My name is Peter Parley, and I just returned from serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Michigan. I am 21 years old (as of last week), and I am still adjusting to life away from the mission. The thing I loved most about the mission was the structure. I loved knowing that I would wake up at the same time every morning, that I would spend the same amount of time studying the scriptures, and that I would spend all day lost in preaching the Gospel. Honestly, the hardest part about when I was called to serve in the mission office was that some of that structure went away. There were many days when we would be traveling, so I wouldn't get to study my scriptures until the evening sometimes. Other times, we would be out on exchages with some of the younger missionaries, and I would be so drained from helping them that by the end of the day, I had no energy for anything. One time, I even said my prayer while lying in bed!

But being home from the mission is like 10 times harder than serving in the mission office. Now, I have NO structure. I have to decide for myself what time I will get up. I have to make time to study my scriptures. It is hard.

Anyway, that is a little about me. I am sure I will post more later.

7 Comments:

  • Wow that was great Peter!! Pretty good for your first post. I just started myself and you're aleady posting like a pro!

    I always love hearing about your mission Peter, I would really love to serve one myself one day with my Eternal Companion when I'm older.

    One thing I'd like to hear about is the fireside you went to on Sunday. Well, talk to you later.

    By Blogger Molly, at June 08, 2005 4:49 PM  

  • Come On!

    If you morons are going to insist on doing this crap, at least make it believable.

    You didn't know much about the internet before your mission? It's not like it just appeared in the last two years.

    And the thing you loved about your mission was the structure? Gag me with a liahona.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 08, 2005 8:15 PM  

  • I'm not sure what you mean, johnnylingo. I never said the internet just appeared, I just said I didn't know much about it. I am not too proud to admit that there are things I don't know.

    By Blogger Jeff J. Snider, at June 08, 2005 9:32 PM  

  • Which mission in Michigan, Peter? I served in Detroit from 97 to 99 (I know. I'm a geezer.) and had a blast.

    One suggestion for you: Keep the habits from the mission. That adds a little structure and really strengthens you. Keep getting up at 6 (Or 6:30, whatever it was in your mission) and reading and praying. you'll be stronger and able to get more done in the daytime.

    Johnnylingo - Go suck an egg. hopefully you'll get salmonella and not be able to reach a keyboard from your sickbed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 09, 2005 7:56 AM  

  • I served in Lansing. I have been getting up at the same time and doing my studying, I just didn't realize how tempting it is to sleep in when you don't have to report on it. When I was a missionary, I never had trouble getting up, because I knew I needed to set a good example for my companions or whatever elders we were staying with that night. Now, I have to do it for myself.

    By Blogger Jeff J. Snider, at June 09, 2005 8:44 AM  

  • That does add a challenge. have you made it through listening to a full song on the radio yet? I think it took me weeks to do that after coming home.

    Did you ever serve in the fingertip area of the good ol' glove? I hear there's not much up there but wildlife and cold.

    Do they plow the streets in lansing in the winter? They never did it in Detroit and it ended up feeling more like the icecapades than riding when we had to go somewhere in the winter.

    Its too bad you didn't serve in Detroit. I could use an update on some of my favorite investigators and families.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 09, 2005 8:49 AM  

  • hivpatients porsche repressed warblog relatively antenna refined looking injure serkan commas
    lolikneri havaqatsu

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 10, 2010 9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home